Do you have a German Shepherd dog? If so, you know that they are a breed of dog that requires special care. Providing your German Shepherd with the best food possible can be one of the most important things you can do for your pet. For German Shepherd owners, this blog post will examine the best dog food for the breed and offer some advice on choosing the finest diet for your pet.
What is the Best German Shepherd Food Brand?
German shepherds are less likely than other dog breeds to develop allergies. This is a good thing because there are more options open to you when it comes to feeding your pet.
Introducing new products to your dog can be a lot easier than you think. You don’t have to worry about how they will react to it.
Top 6 German Shepherd Dog Food Brands
1. Orijen Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Whole grain Orijen Adult Dog Food is the most popular dog food on the market today. This is a terrific alternative for a high-quality and tasty treat for your dog.
The diet is made with all-natural ingredients, and it is full of the essential nutrients your pet needs to be healthy.
The food is a good source of protein because it is meat-based and made with fresh, high-quality meat like cage-free Cobb chicken. The food also contains eggs, and various sea caught fish, making it suitable for adult dog breeds.
The meal is full of vitamins and minerals from the vegetables and fruits component of the food.
Two-thirds of the diet is made up of raw beef. To avoid triggering allergies, it is made without wheat. Vegetables and fruits make up the rest of the 15%.
Another thing that makes Orijen a good food is made in Canada. In Canada, the standards for pet food are very strict.
Nonetheless, this diet is a great choice for German shepherds because it’s high in nutrients and has everything they need.
- This product is grain-free.
- They are all fresh and utilized in many pet foods.
- No artificial colors or flavors.
- It is high in protein and keeps your dog active.
- This product contains natural preservatives.
- This food is good for your dog’s health and contains many healthy ingredients. However, it is more expensive than other foods, so it might not be as affordable for you.
2. Taste Of The Wild Dog Food
Taste of the Wild grain-free premium meat dog food provides your furry pet with the wild flavor they crave.
The finest wild meats used in the Honest Kitchen dog food include roasted Bison, lamb, chicken, and cattle. It also has complex carbs from sweet potatoes and peas, essential vitamins and minerals from tomatoes, raspberries, blueberries, and healthy fats from canola oil.
This dog food includes probiotics that are specific to each type of dog. This helps keep their guts healthy and their immune systems active.
This product is grain-free, so you don’t have to worry about allergic reactions. It also contains well-balanced omega fatty acids, which will help keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy.
The presence of chelated minerals helps your pet absorb the nutrients in their food. This means that they can get the most out of this food’s benefits.
- It contains excellent wild meats such as roasted buffalo, saltwater seafood, and chicken.
- This dog food’s ingredients are high in protein.
- It is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Probiotics tailored to your dog’s species ensure healthy activity and a strong immune system.
- It doesn’t include grain; therefore, your dog won’t be allergic.
- Wild taste is the most popular dog food. So, it has some bad Amazon reviews like FDA warnings, dog heart concerns, etc. You never know which meal will fit your GSD until you give it a go.
3. Nulo Adult Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
German Shepherds do well when fed high in quality proteins, fats, essential minerals, and vitamins. Carbohydrates, even in tiny amounts, are beneficial to them.
Nulo Adult grain-free dry dog food is easy to prepare quickly and without much hassle. And it also provides a nutritious meal for your dog.
Amino acids for muscle and cell growth are easy to ensure your dog gets all the nutrients she requires. To keep her joints and muscles lubricated, she consumes fats and carbohydrates, as well as vitamins and minerals to improve her immune system.
A lot of protein can be found in the meal served. 80 percent of the meal comprises meat or other animal products.
The appropriate ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids is found in this meal, resulting in a shiny, healthy coat. Because it is grain-free, you won’t have to worry about allergies.
The producers are pleased because this dog food is free of fillers, preservatives, and other chemical additions.
This dog chow doesn’t contain any protein from chicken or eggs, for the record. This is because many dog breeds are sensitive to these components. Those who eat them for an extended period may develop allergies.
- Nulo Adult dry dog food is grain-free and healthful for your dog.
- Quality proteins can boost your dog’s immune system.
- Vitamins and minerals improve immunity.
- This product contains carbs that help her busy lifestyle.
- No artificial probiotics, only natural ingredients.
- The price of this food is high because it contains many good and healthy ingredients that are great for your dog’s health.
4. Royal Canin German Shepherd Adult Dry Dog Food
Different types of dog food are designed to meet the specific needs of a certain type of dog. Royal Canin is an example of this.
This product is designed specifically for German Shepherds, a large breed that needs a lot of protein, energy-rich foods, and vitamins to develop strong bones.
Your GSD will be begging you for more of this dog food’s unusual kibble, texture, and taste.
This food is full of protein from meat by-products. This means that your pet will be well-nourished and energetic.
- This food is designed to help your German Shepherd’s digestive system work better. This will help them absorb more of the food and keep their gut flora healthy.
- This food contains important vitamins and minerals, including calcium, zinc, Vitamin E, B6, C, B1, and more. These nutrients help keep your skin and coat healthy.
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are included, which aid in lubrication for healthy joints.
- It’s full of natural components.
- This food’s ingredients all help your dog’s energy and activity.
- This product contains oat groats and brewer’s rice. These substances help to balance your dog’s nutrition. This product uses a natural flavor that makes your dog’s food taste better.
- This dog food contains two oils: vegetable oil and fish oil. These oils help to make the food balanced.
- Your dog may not like the taste.
5. Blue Wilderness Adult Dry Dog Food
Food for dogs that mimics what they consume in the wild is the inspiration for this product. For the most part, the dog’s food is composed of raw meat, complex carbohydrates, and fruits.
That is designed to keep your German Shepherd full all day. It will help satisfy its wild cravings and be active and energetic.
These dry dog food recipes are unique because they are pure, natural ingredients. The ingredients are enhanced with a finely blended mix of minerals, vitamins, and a proprietary anti-oxidant-rich kibble. The kibble is prepared under mild heat to preserve its potency.
No matter your pet’s life stage or what breed it is, there is a recipe for it. The recipe will have a high-quality protein source like salmon, chicken, or duck.
Your German puppy needs well-balanced omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to grow strong. These two essential nutrients, glucosamine and chondroitin, help keep your pup’s joints healthy and his bones strong.
- This pet food is raw meat, complex carbs, and fruits. These ingredients help your dog stay energetic all the time.
- This dog food has only natural ingredients.
- This dog food is created for your dog’s health.
- The mineral and vitamin blend enhances the product’s quality.
- Quality proteins including duck, salmon, and chicken are included in this pet food. These proteins help keep your pet fit and healthy.
- You will not find this dog food at your local store.
6. Hill’s Science Diet For Weight Management
As your furry friends get older, they might become less active and more sedentary. They might also gain weight and become more prone to illness and injury.
You can do a few things to help manage your GSD’s weight gain. You can take it for more physical activities and give it healthy food to help manage its weight.
Hill’s Science diet dog food is a type of food that can help your dog stay healthy.
Gradually add the new dog food to your pet’s regular food, mixing it in until the old food is gone. Keeping an eye on your pet is all that is required.
The goal of this food is to help your dog shed pounds and live a happier, healthier life. The food is made from delicious chicken meat.
The food also includes prebiotic fibers, which help digestion and maintain a healthy balance of gut bacteria. Additionally, a precise blend of vitamins and antioxidants bolsters the immune system and helps the dog fight off sickness.
- This dog chow has a variety of protein sources that will keep your pet active and happy for as long as possible. When you spend time with them, there is never a dull moment.
- You do not need to make a separate diet plan for your dog, as this dog food already includes everything your dog needs.
- The food has important proteins, like chickens, lambs, and salmon.
- The combination of minerals and vitamins helps to improve your dog’s immune system.
- Weight is maintained, and quality of life is enhanced by the meal.
- Your dog may display signals of discomfort or change its routines if you don’t pay attention to him.
Things To Consider
Before deciding what to feed your German Shepherd, consider the following points. The following are some of the items you can expect to find:
How Old Is the Dog?
There are important nutrients that your dog needs, and how much your dog needs depends on their age.
Young puppies are more active because they expend more energy. They are still growing, so they need to move around a lot.
To keep up with their quick growth and development, young puppies will need a lot more high-calorie and protein-rich food than older dogs.
Elder Gods need to eat less because they gain weight more easily and are less active.
So, it is important to consider your pet’s age when choosing a dog food formula that is best for them.
What Is the Dog’s Size?
This enormous canine breed, which can reach anywhere from 70 to 100 pounds, is the German Shepherd.
Maintaining a huge physique requires a well-balanced diet of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, vitamins, and minerals.
So you see, it is not just enough to give your GSD any food. You need to research the nutritional value of the dog foods you intend to purchase. So that you can be sure they contain all the nutrients your dog needs and that they are in the right quantity.
How Active Is the Dog?
Before buying a German shepherd, the last thing to consider is how active the dog is.
The reality is that your puppy spends a lot of time lying down and sleeping. They don’t need as many calories as a GSD running across the farm field or a service dog.
In a nutshell, I’m saying that your pet’s nutritional needs depend on how active they are.
Now that you know some things to think about when choosing a type of dog food for your German Shepherd, let’s look at what makes good food for dogs. The best dog foods have good ingredients for your pet and help keep them healthy.
In other words, not all dog foods are the same.
The Association of American Feed Control Organization (AAFCO) recommends that large breed dog foods like GSD should have between 30 to 40 percent high-quality proteins, with a minimum of 22 percent.
High-quality proteins come from animal sources, like fresh and not expired meat. Proteins can also come from animal by-products, parts of the animal that are not meant for human consumption.
The AAFCO recommends that your German Shepherd’s food contain between 15 percent and 30 percent animal-based fats.
Maintaining a good diet is essential for your dog’s health and increasing its metabolic rate. This is why you should give your dog healthy supplements like these to ensure that it gets the nutrients it needs.
Fats are important for developing strong bones and joints, providing lubrication for the body’s systems, and helping produce fatty acids that improve digestion.
Vitamins and Minerals
Even though your dog’s diet is only a small part of what they eat, it is just as important as the other nutrients.
Your dog’s health depends on a well-rounded diet. A diet with essential minerals and vitamins will help your dog’s immune system, keep their coat shiny and beautiful, and ensure they are in a good mood.
People argue about whether or not carbohydrates should be in dog food. This is because there are different sources of carbohydrates.
Some people say that some carbohydrates are bad for dogs in the long term.
One thing is for certain: GSDs need a diet high in carbohydrates (5 to 8 percent of their diet), regardless of where you stand on the topic.
Top 12 Best Dog Food for German Shepherds
1. The Farmer’s Dog
The Farmer’s Dog is a company that makes food for dogs. They make sure that the food is complete and balanced and that it meets the needs of dogs. The food is made with fresh ingredients in a kitchen approved by the USDA.
One of the main ingredients in their recipes is premium animal protein such as Turkey, Chicken, Beef, and Pork. These proteins are all great sources of amino acids. Amino acids are important for your dog’s overall health.
Another important nutrient in their TF blend is Tricalcium Phosphate, which helps to provide calcium and phosphorous. These minerals are essential for keeping your dog’s bones and joints healthy, which can help to prevent health problems in the future.
A fresh diet is great for your dog’s health. It uses high-quality ingredients like human-grade food and doesn’t have any fillers, preservatives, or animal by-products. This means your dog gets only the best nutrients from well-balanced food.
- Recipes that are high in protein
- No fillers or artificial preservatives, only omega fatty acids for a healthy coat and skin
- Supports heart health with Taurine.
- Less time on the market
- Refrigeration is required to maintain the freshness of this product.
2. Iams PROACTIVE HEALTH Large Breed Adult
Iams is a well-known and trusted brand in the dog food industry. They sell dry food specifically tailored for your adult German Shepherd. This dry dog food is an all-natural choice that can help your dog stay healthy and strong for its whole life.
Do not trust those cheaper alternatives that are filled with filler. This dry dog food is enriched with animal proteins to meet the nutritional needs of your mature German Shepherd.
This dry dog food contains chicken, fried eggs, and flaxseed. This will help large breed dogs stay healthy and have the energy they need.
Your large-breed dog can live a long and healthy life with the proper care and attention. This dry dog food is full of healthy ingredients that will help your dog stay healthy and active well into its senior years. The chicken meal in this food contains nutrients that can help protect your dog’s joints and keep them feeling young and lively for a long time.
- Great for long-living German shepherds.
- The first ingredient is chicken, an excellent source of pure protein.
- A perfect blend for coat health.
- Feed the food to your pet within a month of opening the package.
3. Blue Wilderness Blue Buffalo High Protein Grain Free
Blue is a popular pet food brand. This is why it’s not surprising that it’s healthy for German Shepherds.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness has a lot of different types of food that are grain-free and have a lot of protein. There are chicken, turkey, quail, duck, salmon, halibut, trout, rabbit, bison, and venison flavors. These foods are also good for specific breed sizes and puppies and adults. This means that there is a good chance that one of these foods will be perfect for your dog – even if they are fussy or have food allergies.
If you’re looking for a healthy diet for your dog, it’s a good idea to choose Blue Buffalo Wilderness. This brand is known for providing dogs with the nutrients they need to stay healthy.
Blue Wilderness Taste of the Wild has a lot of different ingredients that will help your dog grow muscle. These ingredients include chicken, fish, and duck.
Carbohydrates alone are not enough to fuel a dog’s muscle growth. You can rest assured that your dog’s food will be free of fillers thanks to a grain-free formula.
The Blue Buffalo high-protein dog food from Blue Wilderness is delicious. Afterward, your dog will be desperate for more. This means that you will no longer have to coax your dog into eating healthy food.
One of the reasons Blue is so well-known is because its food is grain-free and doesn’t have fillers that are low in protein.
This company makes food for German Shepherds that is healthy and has a lot of protein. This is good for your dog because it will be healthy and have more energy. You will also feel better knowing that your dog is eating well.
- This is a well-known name in the dog food market.
- Every recipe starts with a high-quality protein source.
- Vegan and free of inferior products such as chicken by-product meals.
- For use in large breed dogs with more severe joint problems.
- Not all dogs will like the flavor.
4. ROYAL CANIN Giant HEALTH NUTRITION MAXI
A high-quality dog food brand for German Shepherds is Royal Canin. Your dog will love it because it’s easy to digest and tastes great.
They also include a lot of antioxidants and amino acids in their adult food recipe. To keep your dog’s cells from decaying, you should give it these supplements.
This dog food tastes great! The chicken and brown rice give it a good flavor. That means your dog will be happy to eat it every day. The chicken also helps keep your dog healthy and hydrated.
Large breed dogs need extra protection from life’s everyday wear and tear. Vita Bone’s exclusive blend of amino acids and antioxidants helps to keep your pup healthy and happy.
Royal Canin has also done a lot of research to develop the perfect kibble shape for German Shepherds.
These round kibbles are easy for your dog to chew and digest. They won’t get stuck in your dog’s teeth or throat.
- Designed for easy digestion and chewing, this product has a unique shape.
- For a delicious meal, try this easy chicken and brown rice recipe.
- An exclusive amino acid blend fights cell decay caused by free radicals.
- Can be pricey
5. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural
Blue’s second blend is designed to improve the immune system and digestion in larger breeds of dogs, like German Shepherds. This blend can help these dogs when they are older and have problems with their immune system or digestion.
Feeding your dog this immune-boosting canine formula is a great way to make sure he grows up healthy. There are different blends for puppies, so your dog will get the right nutrition from the start.
Blue offers a lot of variety for their Life Protection Formula dog food. You can choose from different options for your dog’s mealtime.
You can choose from many different kinds of protein to make sure your German Shepherd grows up healthy. You can choose chicken, fish, or lamb. You can also choose different grains for the second ingredient, like brown rice or oatmeal.
Blue uses “Life Source Bits” to help your dog live a longer life. Antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals abound in these treats, which benefit your German Shepherd’s health and resistance to disease. They also help keep joints and muscles healthy.
- Spectacular Bits of Life’s Energy
- Puppies can choose between brown rice or oatmeal as their first ingredient.
- Many options for your puppy, adult dog, or senior dog. There is a wide range of options.
- Antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals abound in this dish.
- The kibbles are not large.
6. Nutro WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS
Look into Nutro Ultra Whole Essentials for your canine companion if you’re looking for a healthy, natural food option.
This dog food is special because it uses chicken meals from farm-raised chickens. This helps make sure your dog grows healthy muscles and avoids getting sick.
This ultra-healthy dog food blend is made with chicken, chicken meal, peas, potatoes, and other natural ingredients. It is perfect for raising a healthy German shepherd.
The chicken meal contains a lot of glucosamine and chondroitin, which are perfect for keeping your dog’s joints healthy.
Many of the healthiest dog foods do not taste as good as other foods. They may not have as much flavor, but they provide your dog with all the nutrients it needs.
Nutro Wholesome Essentials chicken meal, peas, and potatoes food is a good choice for dogs because it has a good flavor that they will love.
- Natural ingredients are used.
- Your German Shepherd will love the flavor of this tasty concoction.
- There are no extras.
- Joint health is improved thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties of chicken meals.
- Not all dogs will like the flavor.
7. Wild Earth Dog Food
In this establishment, you will not find any meat products that are detrimental to your health. We only use ingredients that are high in vitamins and minerals.
Not only that, but we also offer food that is of the best quality and is delivered right to your door. It really can’t get much more convenient than that.
At Wild Earth, we only use the best ingredients to ensure your dog gets the right kind of nutrition for its needs.
The company understands that dogs are omnivores, so they make sure to include plenty of high-quality fruits and vegetables in their food, as well as specially selected meats. This ensures a high protein content which is done sustainably.
- Veterinarian-created for optimal dog nutrition.
- Sustainable in terms of the environment without sacrificing protein quality.
- Direct delivery to your front door.
- No questions asked; you’ll get your money back.
- May have price increases
- It May have a lot of crude protein for some dogs with health issues
8. Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dogs
This food is the best value for your money. It has most of the features that a responsible dog owner would want, and it is a good price.
Apart from the fact that it is of great value, this food seems to be liked by dogs. It is sourced from the beef meal, which comes from a product that is not the main meat source.
Dogs, on the other hand, appear unconcerned. If the ingredients are pure and the processing is clean, nothing to worry about.
This food has a lot of omega fatty acids, which are good for various things.
The anti-aging properties of this product are well-documented. Reviewers report that it helped their dog regrow hair or whiskers that had been shaved off.
The probiotic enzymes in this food help your dog stay healthy inside.
Most buyers didn’t have any problems, but it’s always a good idea to be safe.
- Quite cheap when compared to the others
- Plenty of omega fatty acids
- Contains probiotics for gut health
- Most report new hair growth
- Dogs love the beefy taste
- Possible shelf life issues
- Some report issues with gas
9. Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free Dog Food
Some people think that it is good to feed our dogs raw food. Dogs can eat raw meat without getting sick, but humans can’t usually do that without getting sick.
This product is unique because it contains freeze-dried raw chicken. This means that the chicken has not lost any nutrients, usually when something is cooked.
Freeze-drying is a way to keep the nutrients in an item without heat. The analysis says this one has a lot of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and omega fatty acids. We’ll talk more about the benefits of these substances later.
This food is high in protein, with 36% of the daily recommended value. It’s the highest-protein food on our list. But we’re not sure how much fat it has. We can’t tell from the label. That’s a bad sign. Plus, this food doesn’t have any carbs, which might not be enough for an active dog.
Raw chicken bits are more likely to spoil and become contaminated.
- Made with whole freeze-dried raw chicken
- No grains, potatoes, corn, wheat, or soy
- Plenty of antioxidants and omega fatty acids
- When dissolved in water, it can make a delicious gravy.
- Contains a lot of protein (36 percent )
- Salmonella or spoilage could be a cause for concern.
- Carbohydrate content may be inadequate for an active dog.
10. Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct
Deer meat is the only ingredient in this product. We combined it with turkey to make a tasty and enticing sandwich spread.
This is a good option for dogs trying to lose weight because both types of meat are very lean. Because there is no fat, they will receive adequate amounts of protein.
This food is sourced from corn and meal. The company avoids using by-products from the food industry. Even though this food doesn’t use whole meat, it comes from a good source.
Most high-end brands of food are more expensive than this one. It is a great middle-shelf option for people who can’t afford the more expensive choices.
This dog food is soft, and the darker-colored bits are even softer. Older dogs find it easier to eat because it’s gentle on their gums and teeth.
It will become as moist as canned food if you add a small amount of liquid and wait for a few minutes.
On the other hand, seeing soy flour on that list is something we’d rather not see. The inclusion of glucosamine is understandable given its beneficial effects on the bones and joints.
At the same time, there isn’t much there that could make a big difference. ‘
- Good mix of deer and turkey meat
- Price is reasonable for a high-end brand
- Not sourced from the food industry by-products
- Easy for dogs to chew
- Plenty of protein without much fat
- Should not include soy flour
- Not enough glucosamine to help anything
11. Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Wellness Core grain-free dog food may be a good option if you’re looking for a high-protein diet for your German Shepherd. This food contains deboned turkey, turkey meal, chicken meal, peas, dried ground potatoes, lentils, chicken fat. And other nutritious and delicious ingredients that your adult dog or puppy needs to thrive.
This nutrient-dense superfoods-based formula is a well-balanced nutritional supplement. This ensures a well-rounded diet for your dog. Because it is savory, your dog will enjoy the taste.
This food has a high concentration of protein, which helps to promote leaner body mass and muscle tone. The inclusion of omega fatty acids from flaxseed and salmon oil supports healthy skin and coats.
This dog food is healthy for your dog, and it has antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics, and Taurine. This dog food does not have meat by-products, fillers, artificial preservatives, or flavors.
- Provides a well-balanced diet
- Maintains healthy coats and skin.
- For those with sensitive stomachs, this product is ideal.
- High protein content without the use of meat by-products
- Some dogs don’t care for the taste
- Not recommended for dogs with weight problems
12. Eukanuba Puppy Dry Dog Food Chicken
This German Shepherd puppy food helps active puppies’ muscle growth and bone health. It also has high-quality animal protein, which improves calcium and phosphorous levels.
Healthy brain development is another benefit of feeding your puppy this food. It contains clinically proven levels of DHA for puppies who are easier to train.
Food has a lot of energy because it has a lot of fat and carbohydrates. This is good for puppies who are growing. The chicken used in the food is very high quality, and it is the first ingredient listed.
- A well-balanced diet for a puppy’s development
- Muscle and bone health are supported by this supplement.
- Energy for growth and playtime is provided.
- Contains cornmeal and by-products
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Dog Food for German Shepherds
Is Blue Buffalo Dog Food Good for German Shepherds?
The Wilderness Blue Buffalo High Protein dog food is the best food for German Shepherds. It has the perfect ingredients, including good for dogs with food allergies.
What Should I Not Feed My German Shepherd?
Some poisonous foods to German Shepherds include chocolate, grapes, avocados, garlic, onions, leeks, wild mushrooms, macadamia nuts, walnuts, alcohol, and salt. Other foods that can poison dogs might not be as well known, such as xylitol (sweetener), yeast dough, raw potatoes, hops, green tomatoes, and moldy food.
What Food Do German Shepherds Like?
Many German Shepherds like beef, lamb, fish, or chicken items. They also like cheese, but it is best to eat it in moderation because too much can cause stomach problems.
Is Royal Canin Good for GSD?
Feed your German Shepherd dog food that is specifically made for them. Royal Canin Nutrition for Breed Health Complete and balanced nourishment for your German Shepherd Dog is available in German Shepherd Dog Meal. Delicious dry food that your dog will eat happily.
Do German Shepherds Need Large Breed Food?
German Shepherds need large breed food because it has balanced nutrition specifically designed for larger breeds. This food has more protein, less calcium, phosphorus, fat, and the correct amount of fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals.