The German Shepherd Chow mix combines the German Shepherd breed and the Chow Chow breed. Some dogs are bred to be pure, while others like mixed breeds. The crossbreed is medium-sized with great qualities from their parent breeds. These guidelines will tell you more about them before you get one of your own.
3 Reasons Not to Get a German Shepherd Chow Crossbreed
- Many dogs get bored. They need to be stimulated. If they are not, the dog can have health problems. So make sure you do things with your dog that keep it happy and healthy.
- It can be dangerous if you do not watch your dog. This is an active dog that needs a person with the same lifestyle. If you don’t give it what it wants, the German Shepherd Chow mix might develop bad habits like hurting things nearby.
- The dog can sometimes act stubborn. This behavior might come from the Chow Chow parent dog, known for this behavior by Chow Chow owners. If the dog is not given enough opportunities to engage with other dogs and people, it may become aggressive.
3 Reasons to Get a Chow Chow Shepherd Crossbreed
- The dog is a dog that can do things by itself. It can be left alone, and it will be okay. Sometimes it likes to play with its owner, like walking the dog or petting it.
- German Shepherd Chow mix dogs are loyal and protective. They get along with family members. These dogs can do things for you if you tell them to. German Shepherds are also good pets for children because they are trustworthy.
- The dog is an intelligent animal. German Shepherds and Chow Chows are intelligent animals, so the dog’s puppy will probably be smarter too. If you need help with obedience training, use the intelligence of a German Shepherd Chow mix to your advantage.
Other German Shepherd & Chow Mixes
Please choose a dog breed that matches your lifestyle. The dog will be abandoned or adopted every year if you are not responsible.
Appearance, Traits, and Personality of a Chow Chow Mixed with German Shepherd
- Height: 19-26 inches tall.
- Weight: 60-95 pounds.
- Body Type: Similar to a Chow Chow and a German Shepherd.
- Facial Features: The dog has similar ears and muzzles to the Chow Chow and the German Shepherd.
- Coat Type: Long, thick, fluffy, or short fur bristles on their body.
The appearance of a German Shepherd Chow cross is also determined by which gene takes precedence. Usually, people will have dogs that look like Chow Chows more than German Shepherds. These dogs typically have curly rather than straight tails, as German Shepherds do. The dog also appears to have inherited the German Shepherd’s father dog’s large muzzle and has a black accent on its face and pointy ears. These features make the German Shepherd Chow mix look like a bear or a lion.
This dog is a good learner, so it is easy to train. It has some stubbornness that comes from its Chow Chow parent side. At the beginning of training, use obedience training.
Chows are stubborn, and German Shepherd Chow mixes like to play a lot. Without mental or physical stimulation, the dog may become bored and start hurting people or things. Make sure to take them outside to run around and have fun!
A fifteen-year life expectancy is an excellent age range. Still, you can also prolong your dog’s lifespan by taking it to the vet for vaccinations and providing it with whole foods.
Puppies for Sale
Before buying a German Shepherd Chow puppy, you should consider your budget and what will be needed. You’ll need to spend more than $1000 to get the puppy. You might also need medicines and shots. Having a German Shepherd Chow puppy is between $250-$750.
The best way to look for this puppy is by checking out dog breeders who specialize in German Shepherd Chow puppies. To ensure your puppy will be healthy, you should buy from a breeder with healthy parents who charge less for their puppies.
You can get a dog from an adoption center. They will ask you questions about the environment that your dog lives in. You can also get a German Shepherd Chow mix from a breeder, but they must do background checks on the buyer before selling it to them.
- Canine Clubs
You can also buy a dog online to ensure the seller’s background is good. You can do this by checking them out or talking to people who know about dogs.
A German Shepherd Chow mix would need a lot of grooming. This is because the dog’s coat looks like a Chow Chow parent dog, resulting in too much shedding. You should brush your dog’s coat 2-3 times a day. It will be easier to clean up any mess around your house if you have a vacuum.
- This shampoo is made for Chows. It has a Sweet Pea Vanilla scent, and it is hypoallergenic.
- This MOOSH Natural Dog Shampoo helps with skin allergies and infections and has Bentonite clay. This helps with itching, dry skin, and hot spots.
- Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo. This shampoo includes Aloe Vera extracts, which are suitable for your pet’s skin. You should ask a veterinarian before using oatmeal or aloe as alternatives to Earthbath unless the vet has approved them.
The dog’s nails should be trimmed. They have to be cut so they don’t grow too long. Sometimes people use nail clippers for dogs, but sometimes people cut their nails with a set of scissors.
The German Shepherd Chow mix shares the same weaknesses as the German Shepherd and the Chow Chow, including:
- Hip dysplasia is a genetic illness that many dogs have. It is most familiar with heavier dog breeds and eats food that isn’t healthy. They can also get it from too much exercise and not enough rest. The dog’s hips will eventually wear out and might develop other problems like malformed bones.
- If your dog has ticks and fleas, it will irritate. The longer the hair on your dog, the easier it is for pests to live there.
- Bloating is when gas fills up the stomach. The stomach expands, and the diaphragm and blood vessels get squished. This can cause breathing or heart problems.
- Eye problems are a problem that can happen to German Shepherds. It is common for them to have pannus or chronic superficial keratitis. Pannus makes the dog blind. Be careful not to let it go without being treated for 7-9 years old and older.
- If your dog has signs and symptoms like this, it could have a heart problem: changes in behavior, weight or diet, and abdominal swelling. If you observe your dog doing these, you should bring it to the vet as soon as possible.
The German Shepherd Chow mix does not have any health issues or illnesses pointed out. However, the sicknesses and health problems mentioned can still be passed to the offspring from both of these dogs’ genes.
A balanced diet is crucial for the health of a German Shepherd Chow mix. Supplements such as chondroitin, fish oil or omega-3 fatty acids, and glucosamine may help prevent or alleviate hip dysplasia symptoms. According to the American Feed Control Officials, a German Shepherd Chow mix puppy should consume roughly 22% protein. On the other hand, an adult German Shepherd Chow should consume only 8% protein. Its diet should include protein from complete meats such as beef, fish, and chicken. The following is a list of dog foods that we recommend:
- This dog food has salmon, chicken, fish, and grain-free protein. The ingredients are sweet potatoes, carrots, blueberries, and parsley.
- Solid Gold High Protein with Duck Dry Dog Food. Ingredients are as follows: duck, chicken meal, turkey meal, whitefish meal, egg protein, peas and chickpeas, sesame oil, and almond oil. It is another grain-free dog food with a hundred percent satisfaction guarantee.
- This dog food has protein. It has different kinds of animal protein and healthy fats. Salmon, chicken, menhaden fish, lamb, chickpeas, split peas, dried potatoes, and sunflower oil.
- Four-star Dog Food is a type of food for dogs. It has beef, eggs, pork meat, liver, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. This food contains salmon oil and cauliflower with apples, green beans, and carrots. There are blueberries too.
- This food is healthy for your dog and does not have wheat sources. The ingredients are turkey, chicken meal, chicken fat, and chicken liver. There is also salmon oil and peas and potatoes.
German Shepherd Chow Mixes need to eat healthy food like any other dog. Ask your vet about the most suitable food for your dog and create a balanced diet. Too much protein can make them gain weight, which is terrible because it can lead to health problems.
There are some foods that you should not feed your dog. One of these is dry dog food. You should look for the best type of dry dog food, such as Wellness Core Dog Food, Dog For Dog Food, or Nutra Thrive Dry Dog Food Supplement.
Senior dogs need different food because they are older. This type of food is on the best senior dry dog list. If you have a puppy, you should look at the best puppy food brands or even for large breed puppies. Don’t change their diet without talking to your vet first!
Both Chow Chow and German Shepherds are intelligent dogs. They need to stay entertained. You can train them to run, hike, jog, cycle, and more. If they have a job to do – they will want you to be happy!
- Swimming is a fun activity for both the owner and the dog. It burns lots of energy from the dog so they can rest later. It is also a low-impact activity that won’t hurt their joints.
- Socialize with other dogs and people. The German Shepherd Chow mix is friendly to people but needs to be social with other dogs. If you teach your dog social skills, they will learn them too.
- Scenting or Tracking Games. These games help the dog’s brain. The German Shepherd Chow mix side of the German Shepherd Chow mix loved to hunt things. Some games include finding food, hiding and seeking, and finding a toy.
There are various ways to train your dogs. It all comes down to giving it commands and having it obey them. But any form of training should keep the dog mentally and physically engaged.
If you train your German Shepherd Chow mix when it is young, it will listen to you better. The Chow part of the dog can be stubborn and not listen to you when you tell it what to do. But the German Shepherd side of the dog listens more easily. Here are some training methods:
- Puppy training is essential. The vital thing to do is give your puppy attention and company. If you teach your dog that it likes you, it will enjoy being around you. You should play with it to know that you are having fun.
- Positive reinforcement is a perfect way to teach your dog. You have to reward them when they obey what you want. But you don’t give them anything until they do it correctly.
- You should teach your dog to be friendly with people and other animals. If you have children, you should try to get the dog used to them early to be comfortable around them.
German Shepherd Chows can be the spark in a family. They are playful with anyone in the family. If you’ve met them before, you’ll find that they’re easy to get along with. They are generally peaceful dogs that bark less when provoked or have neglected attention.
German Shepherd Chows are great family pets because they are loyal, protective, and loving. They make good watchdogs, too, because when there is a stranger or someone not belonging to the family, they can get wary or show some intimidation.
German Shepherd Chow is a large dog. They need to be able to run around outside. The best place for them is with people who are active outdoors.
This mix of breeds is excellent for families and people who want a dog. It has the German Shepherd and also the Chow Chow.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chow German Shepherd Mix
Is a German Shepherd Labrador Mix A Good Dog?
German Shepherd Labrador mixes are great dogs. It is no surprise because they are made by combining two of the world’s most popular dogs.
Dogs are smart and will be easy to train. They love you and will be loyal so they will feel like part of the family fast.
Are German Shepherd Mixes Aggressive?
German Shepherds are known to be aggressive. They are often watchdogs reserved around strangers but do not attack strangers.
What Is the Best German Shepherd Mix?
Labradors mix well with Golden Retrievers. Sometimes they are called Goldies. But they mix well with Siberians, too. They are called Shepskies!
What Is The Most Friendly Dog?
Labradors are among the friendliest dogs, but they’re not alone. Beagles, Poodles, Boxers, Golden Retrievers, and Spaniels are all friendly. Labradors were bred to be companions for people. The other dogs were bred to be companions too.
Who Should Own A Lab German Shepherd Mix?
Shepradors are very fun and active dogs. They need a lot of attention. It is good to have a family because they can play with adults and kids. They don’t do well if you work all the time or do not have enough time for them.